Monday, March 26, 2012

Back to work

I love his big beautiful smile!
So this last week I returned to work in the ICU.  I was really really dreading going back.  I've told people that one of the things that has surprised me the most about becoming a mother is how much I have enjoyed being at home with Parker.  I have always been very career minded, and honestly, I was worried I would never find time to have children because there were just too many things I had left to do.  I have said before, "I would never be able to stay home with kids- I would go crazy!"  But being home with our son for 12 weeks has been one of the most wonderful experiences of my life- I haven't been bored for a second.  All of that to say, I was shocked how fulfilling being a stay-at-home mom for 3 months could be.  I am going back to work part-time (two 12 hour shifts a week), and Wednesday was my first day.  What a surprise- it wasn't that bad!  In fact, in many ways it was a little refreshing to critically think and use my skill set that I've worked so hard to acquire.  I do love taking care of patients- even some of the crazy ones!  But overall, I think the best part of going back to work, and really what motivated me to return in the first place, is the amazing group of coworkers that I have.  I work with some really incredible people in an environment that is stressful, intense, and at times chaotic.  Having coworkers that work so well as a team is such a blessing.

Laura, Parker's nanny, is incredibly sweet and I think that it is going to be a great arrangement.  Parker does really well with her, and she seems to love him already.  I gave her a copy of our announcement and she told me that she has been showing her "new baby" off to all of her family and friends.  So sweet.  I'll have to get a picture of Parker and Laura.

Parker is getting more and more back to himself, minus his sleeping schedule.  It's amazing how quickly he changes.  Last week I wrote about how he is giggling and smiling like crazy.  He is also "talking" with us all of the time and loves our mimicry.  Then, last night- he almost rolled over!  When on his back, he usually just kicks and waves his arms.  All of a sudden he is rolling his hips over and just one strong kick away from flipping over both front to back and back to front.  I will keep you updated!

His incision site is looking great.  Dr. Chen told us it will be about 6 months before it "looks good."  For the next 6 months the lip will draw up on his left side towards his nose as it heals and then should drop into place.  We think it looks great already.  At the follow-up appointment on Wednesday, he told Spence that he was really pleased with it.  Parker's stents fell out after 4.5 days, and were supposed to stay in for ~2 months (oops!).  He said it was fine- leave them out.  We will go back in June to start planning for the palate surgery which he wants to do in September.  This is a little later than we originally thought, but we'll just roll with it.


He is really using his hands these days

As though he didn't resemble his father enough already- imagine my laughter when I walked into the room to see Parker by himself in the recliner with a coke and watching the golf tournament.  Wow....dejavu!



1 comment:

  1. I love the recliner picture! Such a cute plaid overall set! He is looking great! I will call you soon for our morning out!

    ReplyDelete