Monday, September 5, 2011

Highlights from the weekend

Spencer has to do a total of 12 shifts this month- tonight is #3.  This has given me a lot of time on my own to rest and relax, read, and do a little exploration in the mornings when he's sleeping.

When craving donuts in Honolulu- try a malasada (Portuguese donut) instead from Leonard's Bakery.  OMG- delicious!  Especially when hot and fresh.  It was great with a small coffee.
 
What am I reading?  My dear friend, Christina Carlisle, recommended the historical fiction, Hawaii, by James A. Michener.  She read it when here for a month last December.  So far, I'm really enjoying learning some of the history, myths, and cultural influences on how this small set of islands came to be.  I'm only on page 157 (of 1130!!), so I have a lot to go...

Yesterday, I was roaming the streets, and found this painting of the mythical goddess Pele (aka Pere).  She is the deity of fire, lightning, dance and volcanoes.  In the book- the first section describes Bora Borans discovering the Hawaiian islands first, and cursed because they forgot to bring this 'god' with them.  As a result, their first village was destroyed by volcanic eruption.  Apparently she is found in multiple Hawaiian myths, and it was neat to see this painting after reading some of this information on my own!

On my way to church this morning, I drove the Pali Highway and stopped at the Pali Lookout.  I wish I had talent with photography and could capture how majestic the views are on this island.  This highway includes tunnels through the Ko'olau mountain range, and is a stunning drive.



After these views- I was shocked at the site of the First Presbyterian Church of Hawaii at Ko'olau.  Another recommendation from Christina- this church, when looking to expand their worship site, ended up buying a nearby golf course that was for sale, and it is situated in the valley of the mountains I drove through.  It was a great service- highly recommend for those coming after us!
What a beautiful setting to worship God in!
The church sits in the valley below these mountains

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Sunday! I think it rained every time I visited this church - so nice to see the sun shining! More Pele art to come - wait til you visit the Big Island!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! I think I need one of those donuts! Look like they might run a close second to Krispy Kreme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, you are doing an amazing job with the blog. It is so much fun to log on everyday for the latest in "Spence and Lauren's excellent adventures..
    Love you both
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete