Saturday, September 17, 2011

Diamond Head Hike


my first whole pineapple
Kala and I started off this morning at the Kapiolani Community College Farmer's Market.  It was a great Saturday morning activity, and had we known that there would be so much delicious food there, we would have skipped breakfast at the apartment.  There were so many vendors with fresh fruits and vegetables, tents with freshly made food, and other interesting items- I think I'll definitely go back next Saturday.  I did buy my first whole pineapple and accomplished cutting it up on my own.  I'm not sure why I was so intimidated by it- it was really pretty simple!  It is also delicious!

Kala and I did split a homemade popsicle- 100% local ingredients.  It was blueberry lemonade with fresh blueberries & homemade lemonade with lemons and sugarcane from here in the islands.  Best popsicle I've probably ever had.  And we split some kettle corn too.  It's probably best we did a hike next....
Diamond Head Crater

Another "must do" item from all of the guide books is to hike Diamond Head.  This is a hike in a volcanic tuft/crater in the southeast corner of the island.  You drive through a tunnel in the crater to park.  The hike is from the crater floor to the highest point overlooking Waikiki, the Pacific, and the mountain range behind us.  Through a series of switchbacks, intense staircases, tunnels, etc...we only climbed a total of 560 feet, but it was a spectacular view.  Well worth the effort.  Plus- it definitely counts as my workout for the day.
Waikiki to the right where we stay
A lighthouse below from the other side.  It is amazing how dry this area is!
Spence and I split a delicious shaved ice after the hike- very refreshing!
Spence is back at work today.  Brandon, Kala & I spent the afternoon on the beach and watched the sunset.  They leave tomorrow- it's been so much fun to have friends here to experience this with!
I'm going to miss sunsets like this

No comments:

Post a Comment