Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Bishop Museum




I gave Spence a break today and let him have an entire day to sleep after the last 3 night shifts.  I think he feels like he needs to get up early each day to spend time with me- so today was his day off.  Instead, I took the car to the Bishop Museum.  I spent a total of about 3 hours there.  It was interesting to have a fairly comprehensive history of the islands from time of Creation to today.  I was actually very impressed with the quality of the museum and its collections.  I will say that $18 for a ticket seems a bit much, but for future visitors- I think it would be a nice rainy day activity if you are into museums....

This is a series of art panels that tell one of the "Creation" stories of the Hawaiian Islands.  There is a huge emphasis on the life of the sea, the colors, ancestry, science (the moon, constellations), and nature itself.
The Hawaiian Hall included 3 stories of incredible history.  The marine life hanging from the ceiling was really fun, and the exhibits on the bottom floor gave an interesting idea of what ancient Hawaiian village life looked like
A small model of a Hawaiian village
Uliuli, rattles made of gourds decorated with feathers, have been used in hula for centuries
Kahilis are these large feathered structures on poles around this room.  I  have been wondering about all of the feathers used in capes for chiefs, on these kahilis, on leis, etc...  Apparently, birds & their feathers have so much significance because they have the ability to fly, being the only creatures able to reach the heavens and the gods.

So- a somewhat nerdy post- what can I say?  That's who I am!  There's plenty of time left for more beaches, hiking, etc.  

4 comments:

  1. You are so cute! You are much more intellectual than I am... I would have been out on the beach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the postings and you are definitely not a nerd. You are providing each of us the opportunity to live thru you while you live in Hawaii. Something that I will never have the chance to experience. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't it nice to connect the museum with all you were reading in 'Hawaii'? It really made that story of historical fiction seem creditable. I'm a nerd too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet that you all are keeping up with our experiences! It's so fun to share them! And, Christina, I found myself thinking "yeah, yeah, just like the book!" when I would read about the natives pleasing the gods, or the missionaries coming into the picture. The culture of this state is so different than any of our other states! I keep reminding myself that Hawaii has only been a state for 52 years!

    ReplyDelete