Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Recipe of the Week- Apple Brown Betty

Totally unhealthy, but worth every bite!
One thing I try to do weekly is to cook something new or try a new recipe.  I never used to make desserts- or really crave them- until I got pregnant.  Then pregnant Lauren and now Mom Lauren apparently has a new sweet tooth because I crave dessert all of the time!

Fall is my favorite season of all, and I LOVE apples this time of year.  I had a bunch of apples at the house the other night and was really wanting to make something sweet with them.  I found this super easy recipe from The Pioneer Woman- and it was DELISH.  If you have never made any of her recipes- she is my newest obsession- check her out!
http://thepioneerwoman.com/

I had some Breyer's natural vanilla ice cream and I made fresh whipped cream since I had a container of whipping cream that needed to be used.  This is such an easy recipe- especially if you just want to make something from what you have around the house already:

Apple Brown Betty


Ingredients

  • 3 whole Apples, Preferably Granny Smith
  • 7 slices Wheat Bread
  • 3/4 cups Regular Salted Butter
  • 1-1/2 cup Packed Brown Sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons (to 4 Tablespoons) Water

Preparation Instructions

Peel and thinly slice 3 apples. Slice bread into a small dice, or tear into very small pieces.
Coat a small baking dish or pie plate with butter. Then add 1/3 of the brown sugar, 1/3 of the apple slices, and 1/3 of the breadcrumbs. Repeat these layers twice more, ending with breadcrumbs.
Slice butter and lay slices all over the top of the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle dish with water and a little more brown sugar, and bake in a 375-degree oven, covered in foil, until done – about 45 minutes. Remove foil in last few minutes of baking to brown the top.
Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or Reddi Whip, if you’re feeling ornery. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment